Somerset County Council’s Leaving Care Team supports young people aged 16-25 who are in transition from Care to Living Independently. The Team are seeking motivated, enthusiastic and flexible individuals to become Positive Living Support Volunteers.
There are two components of this role and you can decide to do just one or get involved in both:
- 1:1 Positive Living Support – working alongside the team in supporting young people to develop a range of positive life skills and enable them to manage their independent living.
- Group Positive Living Support – working alongside the Team to facilitate a range of groups and drop in sessions, including social groups, life skills groups, job clubs and the Leaving Care Council.
Volunteers for these roles will need
- Some knowledge of adolescent development and behaviour and the difficulties that some experience
- An enjoyment of working with young people, some of whom may be challenging.
- The ability to engage with young people
- Personal integrity and an understanding of safe boundaries in working with young people
- An ability to take the necessary steps to ensure safe lone working and the judgement to identify when support is required
- Flexibility in meeting the needs of young people
- To be reliable and be able to drive and travel
- A positive attitude and approach is as important as the skills and experience you bring to this role.
NB: Please note that we are not currently recruiting for this service in South Somerset or Taunton Deane.